All reports tell us that the heaviest human toll in terms of COVID-19 cases and death totals is yet to come in our country.  Given the Kiwanis Family House mission, our support of our partner hospitals, and the looming disaster, I have a request for those of our sponsoring individuals and sponsoring clubs who have not yet made their planned donations to KFH.  Before I present that request to you, I’d like to share with you a couple of measures we have already taken at KFH.

First, I am delaying my retirement indefinitely so that KFH is not navigating a leadership change while also adjusting our services during this crisis.

Secondly, until further notice, we will not be accepting new hospital referrals. As current guests check out, we will reduce our occupancy – and therefore the number of guest rooms in service – by 50 percent.  Reduced occupancy will allow for healthier distancing among our staff and guests.

Intentionally reducing occupancy in the interest of public health will, of course, impact us budgetarily, reducing by half our potential rent revenue long as we are operating in this emergency mode.  I am somewhat concerned about our cash flow.  Whether you are a sponsoring individual or club, if you have budgeted financial support for Kiwanis Family House in the current year and have not yet made your donation, please send us your support today.  You may be holding your donation for this year’s Big Day of Giving in early May.  We now have a much more immediate and compelling need. 

This pandemic will touch us all.  Please send us that donation now and help KFH be as favorably positioned as possible for the impending wave of the Coronavirus.

From the team at Kiwanis Family House, thank you. We value all of you. Stay home, stay safe, stay healthy.